Wanted: Swan transformer and Viking PA plate tuning assembly

Michael Tauson wh7hg.hi at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 17 20:28:50 EDT 2009

Recently I acquired a Swan 14C 12 volt power adaptor for the 117X
power supply.  So far, so good.  Now I need that power supply or,
preferably, just the transformer from it or one that will work with
the 14C.  After looking at a number of Swan schematics, that seems to
be about anything that was capable of dual power (115vac/12vdc) using
internal or external power supplies, or a combination of the two.
There are some variations on a theme and a few may not be absolutely
perfect matches but this ain't going into space, folks, just the back
of the Jeep so "close enough" is close enough.  Really!

Anyway, if someone has such a transformer floating around not doing a
lot except acting as a doorstop or something to trip over, I'm sure we
can reach some mutually agreeable exchange - coin of the realm, for
example.  Then I can build a really cool and radical mobile power
supply for boatanchors.

At the same time, I'd like to find a PA plate tuning combination
roller inductor/variable cap tuning assembly for a Viking II.  (I
assume the one for the Viking I was the same.)  Two would be better.
If they're not quite up to snuff, this isn't a worry; I'm good at
repairing things and these won't be going into Vikings anyway.

The box containing the one I had for a homebrew rig along with other
bits from a parted out Viking II and other sources that were supposed
to go into homebrew hollow state rigs seems to have wandered off.
That's one of several boxes missing, including some that held bits for
the prewar transmitters I've been fussing about recently.  (Most,
although not all, of the crystals are safe; they didn't touch those
boxes, just the first they could get to.)

What I find odd is that whoever it was went right past several laptops
& a tablet which are worth significantly more to get to them.  (They
also got a few golf drivers and some music CDs but they're
insignificant by comparison.)  On the positive side, equipment like
the SX-24, command equipment and BC-348Q were left alone.  I guess
they weren't inviting enough.

Needless to say, I'm a little upset and disappointed in the
"neighborhood watch" program here.  No one saw anything but the
general feeling is that it was someone who knew I get in packages and
figured they had to be worth something to be coming Priority.  They -
we - also figure it had to be kids since they either didn't bother
looking inside first or figured they'd scored big time.  In either
case, the parts are probably going to wind up in the trash somewhere
once they find out they've got nothing of value to anyone except a
boatanchor lover.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Michael, WH7HG