Broken stuff wanted

Michael Tauson wh7hg.hi at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 29 06:53:19 EDT 2009

As if I don't have enough on my plate as it is ...

I'm looking for broken stuff for a number of odd ideas and
experiments.  The common thread throughout is that it's not allowed to
work as it is nor have much hope of working without bodacious effort
and/or parts infusion.

The big items I can remember are as follows:

HW/SB-10x Xcvrs.  I have a number of experiments involving things like
DDS VFOs, retuning to other (WARC) bands, alternative means of
generating SSB, PA autotune methods and more I'd like to do.
Re-inventing wheels doesn't thrill me (I've done that.  It's only good
for causing brain aches.) and these rigs' modular construction makes
them ideal test beds.  Completeness and appearance are not factors,
nor is the existence of the VFOs.

Model D transmitters & receivers.  The Model D equipment is the
SCR-A*-183/-283 and GF/RU systems.  There are a few pieces I'd like to
make using a couple each transmitters & receivers of any flavor within
this group, although RU receivers would be nice due to wanting to be
able to handle CW reception without making something regenerative.
The transmitters will also be CW only so I don't care about the audio
components at all.  Missing, out of spec and/or broken components
(resistors & capacitors) will be replaced with newer technology since
authenticity is not a factor, just function.  Even the tuning drives
can be missing since those too will be replaced with other means.

Collins 618S-1 or AN/ARC-38(A) PA.  The only part of this in which I
have any real interest is the autotune detector components.  Reading
about them in the manual is one thing (which I've done several times)
but I'd like to get my clammy claws on one or two to actually play
with, with one of those experiments being the autotuned Heathkit PA
mentioned above.  Modern semiconductors and DC motors I think will
make it a rather interesting learning experience.

Note that the 170L/180L detectors are also of interest but I know Fair
has them so they're not a major issue ... unless someone's just got
way too many to live with and is willing to donate to the cause.  :-D

There are other units but I can't remember what they are just that
broken, partially stripped and hacked to death were all part of the
criteria.

Best regards,

Michael, WH7HG
--