[Milsurplus] can anyone id the radio used on this clipper?

Mike Hanz aaf-radio-1 at AAFRADIO.ORG
Sat Mar 27 10:30:40 EDT 2010

Bruce Gentry wrote:
>>> There are other possibilities. One very real one was patent problems.
>>> In those times, almost every component in a practical radio was
>>> claimed under a patent. Not only the construction of the component,
>>> but also the use and application. Into the 1960s, vacuum tubes had a
>>> warning reading something like: "Licensed only to the extent listed on
>>> carton" .   One prohibition was communications for toll or hire. On
>>> such a luxurious airliner crossing oceans,  personal messages were
>>> probably handled for  a price.  By building their own equipment, PanAm
>>> may have been able to avoid  these problems. Patents apply to everyone
>>> using them, but RCA and Hazeltine Research usually did not bother
>>> small specialty builders ( like Scott)  for anything more than a
>>> reasonable royalty for each radio built.  A larger manufacturer had to
>>> register with them and pay all sorts of fees and b... s...

I don't discount that as a remote possibility, but it seems to me that
there are three factors that argue against that scenario.  The first is
that H.C. Leuteritz, the company's chief radio engineer, appears to have
been a somewhat dominating personality.  He worked at RCA for several
years prior to becoming Pan Am's architect for their radio system, and
seems to have had pretty much carte blanch through the 1930s with
whatever was fielded.  That degree of control was earned primarily by
his accomplishment of putting together and maintaining the entire
network as an effective communications system, not merely his prowess in
designing a regen set for the aircraft.  Halo effect, as it were.  The
second is that they apparently did not manufacture these radios for
general sale like the big boys (RCA, Western Electric, et al), so even
if they had used existing patents, the amount of royalties concerned
would have been piddling for such a small number.  There were only 12 of
the Boeing 314s built for Pan Am, for example, and the number of other
Pan Am aircraft types in the fleet wasn't large either, so finding a Pan
Am Airways System receiver today would be an amazing accomplishment.
The reference I mentioned before at
http://www.oldbeacon.com/beacon/pan_american_radio_1929.htm demonstrates
how well he accomplished  his mission, and the cost figures, considering
it was 1929, are astounding.  Finally, Juan Trippe, who ran Pan Am,
obviously had some serious moolah and business connections behind him.
That would (and still does) cut through a lot of silliness in a real
hurry.  After all, there were well established precedents in the
steamship industry for handling passenger traffic, and I suspect they
simply adopted existing contracts and other mechanisms for the service.*
*