Ultrasonic cleaning

J. Forster jfor at QUIK.COM
Thu Nov 25 12:04:33 EST 2010

> 1st - Happy Turkey Day to all!
>
> 2nd - I'm considering buying a small ultrasonic cleaner (usc) to de-gunk
> small parts from neglected radios that I'm restoring. Without buying
> "official" usc fluid, what would be a good substitute(s)? I'm thinking a
> 1:1 of water and 409 or something similar.

409 is not a good choice. It contains a solvent that eats some plastics.
Fantastik does not.

> Also, I read an article recently where the user didn't put the parts
> directly in the fluid. Rather, he filled the usc tank with water and then
> put the parts in a seperate container with the usc fluid and then put
that container in the usc.

True. I used to use a beaker, but now use a Ziplok bag. You don't have to
keep cleaning the cleaner of crud.

Use caution with volitile solvents. The cleaner can heat them to the
boiling point.

Best,

-John

 He claimed that the usc vibrations would "shake" the