old masking tape

Chris Kepus ckepus at COMCAST.NET
Fri Oct 29 00:12:08 EDT 2010

Keep us posted on your results...good and not so good.  I attempted to
remove old dried out and brittle dynamo tape label adhesive from a well
painted panel.  I tried everything including 3M adhesive remover (two
varieties), Goo gone, alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, paint thinner, and
a couple of other lesser chemicals.  The only thing I accomplished is wiping
out the paint finish when I tried acetone.  I had a similar experience with
masking tape adhesive residue as you have described. I gave up before using
something that would damage the paint.  I will have to completely refinish
the panel if I want to remove the adhesive residue unless you discover
something.

Thanks es gud luck!
Chris
W7JPG

-----Original Message-----
From: Boat Anchor Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV] On Behalf Of Jack Schrader
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:07 PM
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: old masking tape

I just got two NCX-5 vfo's and someone put masking tape all around the front
bezels of both of them.

This tape has long since dried out and become brittle. I have tried to
remove with a heat gun, WD40, and alcohol but nothing will completely remove
it or the adhesive.

Amy suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

jack