Need 50L6 output xfmr

George Maier George at MAIERGROUP.COM
Fri Sep 10 21:57:56 EDT 2010

Hi Paul:

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions; very good info.  I'd been
considering a more normal transformer, but thought I'd try finding a closer
match first.

Thanks to info supplied by Steve in Tuscon, I learned that Radio Daze offers
a transformer that's nearly a perfect match, and at a reasonable price.
http://www.radiodaze.com/RD-transformer01.htm

I guess you know what my next move is.  Once the replacement is installed,
I'll run a distortion test with my Sound Technology 1710A through a sig gen
just see how the old radio does perform.

Thanks again and 73,
George - W1LSB
(SBE CPBE)

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Litwinovich [mailto:paull at wshu.org]
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 9:39 AM
To: George at MaierGroup.com; BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: [BOATANCHORS-TEMPE] Need 50L6 output xfmr

I've seen these before. hard to find, but you really won't notice the
difference if you put the B+ straight to the screen and use a conventional
output transformer. I had to do that once on a similar model. They feed the
screen with the audio 180 deg out of phase but low level, just enough for a
little gain reduction which produces less distortion, just like using a
feedback network on an AM modulator. We are talking about what you could see

with a good distortion analyzer, not something that you will likely notice
with your ears. You can increase the cathode resistor by a step or two and
accomplish the same thing.

Paul A. Litwinovich
Director of Engineering
WSHU AM&FM WSUF FM