BA Front Panel touchup

Greg Gore; WA1KBQ gardgore at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 26 08:50:55 EDT 2010

You will have to address the rust issue first or it will never look right plus you have active rust just below the surface of the paint touch-up. I would remove the front panel and apply Naval Jelly to the rusted area to remolve all traces of it. You will then be left with a pitted surface so you will have to fill with an auto body surfacing putty. I would apply it with a single edge razor blade so no sanding is necessary. You want to limit invasion of remaining good original paint to only the affected area. Touch-up the repair as necessary. I would also think about using an airbrush. You can get inexpensive ones now powered by an aerosol can of compressed air.

-Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Schichler, Alfred (GE Energy Services) (GE Energy Services) <Alfred.Schichler at GE.COM>
To: BOATANCHORS <BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Fri, Sep 10, 2010 10:57 am
Subject: [BOATANCHORS-TEMPE] BA Front Panel touchup

I have an HQ-170A that I'm trying to refurbish. It doesn't have to look
erfect, but I want it to look good enough for me to be proud of it.

nyway, I have the front panel looking pretty good after cleaning it,
epainting the outside edges, lightly sanding the front edges around the
hole panel, and then waxing and buffing the whole front of it.

he problem is there is one small area (about 3/4 X 1/4 inch) that has
light rust and pitting. I tried touching it up with a brush, using some
aint that I found off the shelf, which is very close.
It's actually spray paint, but I sprayed some in the cap and used a
rush)

fter that dried, I polished that area and waxed it, but it is still
ery noticeable and catches my eye because it's not real smooth or even.
 was hoping it would blend in a little better. I was wondering if
nyone knows a better touchup method I could use that would blend in
etter, but wouldn't be so complicated that I would need all kinds of
dditional equipment, materials and time.
 should probably sand down the area, but I don't want to make it into a
uch bigger area than it is. I was thinking maybe I should wet-sand the
aint after it dries, and then polish it, but again, I don't want to
ake it into an enormous job. (I also don't want to end up taking too
uch existing paint off the front panel. I don't think it's all that
hick).

ny help/tips would be appreciated.

hanks,
l, WA2AS