BA Front Panel touchup

Greg Gore; WA1KBQ gardgore at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 26 10:53:08 EDT 2010

Missed an important step. One other thing to consider is the front panel was finished to a low gloss or semi-gloss. Any rubbing or polishing you do will change the affected area to a higher gloss. Often you will end up with a blotchy looking panel that has areas of high gloss mixed with other areas of low gloss depending upon how much paint touch-up work or rubbing and polishing you needed to do to cover or minimize scuffs, scratches and blemishes, etc. This won't be a problem if you add one more step. Polish and repair as necessary without regard to how much polishing is required to get it looking better then spray on a coat or two of semi-gloss clear lacquer. This step will restore the entire panel to a uniform semigloss appearance regardless of how glossy the polishing operation made it before.

73, Greg, WA1KBQ

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Gore; WA1KBQ <gardgore at AOL.COM>
To: BOATANCHORS <BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Sun, Sep 26, 2010 8:51 am
Subject: Re: [BOATANCHORS-TEMPE] BA Front Panel touchup

You will have to address the rust issue first or it will never look right plus
ou have active rust just below the surface of the paint touch-up. I would
emove the front panel and apply Naval Jelly to the rusted area to remolve all
races of it. You will then be left with a pitted surface so you will have to
ill with an auto body surfacing putty. I would apply it with a single edge
azor blade so no sanding is necessary. You want to limit invasion of remaining
ood original paint to only the affected area. Touch-up the repair as necessary.
 would also think about using an airbrush. You can get inexpensive ones now
owered by an aerosol can of compressed air.
-Greg