[Boatanchors] Looking for Hickook 605A Transformer

William Morton w_b_morton at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 28 18:12:06 EST 2011

Hello All,

I was having a trusted tech go over my Hickok 605A as the filament voltages seemed low when I tested some sample tubes.  Hiis initial findings were that the internal tubes were fine, sections matched on the 83 tube, previous owner (or earlier tech) did some maintenance/repair but showed good workmanship, etc.  No obvious signs of shenanigans.

I received the following update today:

the LINE SET control had to be turned fully CCW
to get the needle to read on the 'line' mark (actually, just above it - you
can't actually hit the mark). In this position, filament and signal
voltages are WAY low - e.g. 6.3V filament reads actual 4.9V. However, if
you ignore the mark and rotate the LINE SET control until the filament &
signal voltages are proper, then the plate & filament voltages for the #83
& 5Y3 tubes skyrocket.. 5V filament on the #83 reads actual 7.5V.
He will work with it some more to confirm, but I would like to look for a replacement transformer in the meantime.

Anybody have one?  Anybody have this type of problem before?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Best Regards,

William