[Boatanchors] Receiver Technology

Wilson Lamb infomet at embarqmail.com
Sun Jan 16 11:06:28 EST 2011

QST is not all I'd like, but it's pretty good for a lot of people.
I never know what the ARRL's "agenda" is, but I hear a lot about it. Maybe
someone will tell us.

No organization as large as ARRL can make everyone happy, but I think we owe
them the existence of our hobby, to a major degree if not totally, so I
appreciate them.  Doubly so since I'm too lazy to do much on my own!

If  you really want technical reading, there are countless texts and
journals that can swamp at least 95% of us.  Ham Radio was good, but over
most hams heads.  Wayne Green was a jerk, but 73 was good for simple
construction articles.  Face it, most technically competent hams are trained
in a technical field and do technical work.  Joe Taylor would have won his
prize even without his ham license.  It is important, however, to expose
kids to technical stuff, since it often leads them into technical careers.
Read The Big Ear, about John Kraus.

I grew up with oldtime hams and the truth is that there were many appliance
ops all along.  My dad held the hands of several to help them pass their
tests and when they passed they bought rigs and got help with them from then
on.  Yes, they at least showed the grit remember enough to pass, but they
often never did anything more technical than ragchew on phone for the rest
of their lives.

SO, how can we make ARRL more like we want it to be?

Get on CW and show us your skill.
Write a semitechnical article for QST, with explanations of
technology that will help the masses improve their minds.
Send in some pictures of the nice gear you have built.
Teach a few license classes and start a ham club at your local high
school or college.
Work with your ARES group to set up real interfaces with local
government.  It doesn't matter if there are no real emergencies.
    The publicity and involvement are good for both sides.

Meanwhile, be greatful that ARRL has helped swell our numbers and that a
dedicated staff of professional employees and volunteers works to preserve
our privileges.  As for me, I consider membership a screaming bargain and I
wish every ham would join!

Wilson
W4BOH