[Boatanchors] Receiver Technology

Robert Groh rgroh at swbell.net
Sun Jan 16 11:25:35 EST 2011

Amen, Wilson.  Well said.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY
Another 'oldie but goodie' ham.

________________________________
From: Wilson Lamb <infomet at embarqmail.com>
To: Kludge <wh7hg.hi at gmail.com>; boatanchors at puck.nether.net
Cc: Woody & Lisa Woodward <tastefuldemos at aol.com>
Sent: Sun, January 16, 2011 10:06:28 AM
Subject: Re: [Boatanchors] Receiver Technology

QST is not all I'd like, but it's pretty good for a lot of people.
I never know what the ARRL's "agenda" is, but I hear a lot about it. Maybe
someone will tell us.

No organization as large as ARRL can make everyone happy, but I think we owe
them the existence of our hobby, to a major degree if not totally, so I
appreciate them.  Doubly so since I'm too lazy to do much on my own!

If  you really want technical reading, there are countless texts and journals
that can swamp at least 95% of us.  Ham Radio was good, but over most hams
heads.  Wayne Green was a jerk, but 73 was good for simple construction
articles.  Face it, most technically competent hams are trained in a technical
field and do technical work.  Joe Taylor would have won his prize even without
his ham license.  It is important, however, to expose kids to technical stuff,
since it often leads them into technical careers. Read The Big Ear, about John
Kraus.

I grew up with oldtime hams and the truth is that there were many appliance ops
all along.  My dad held the hands of several to help them pass their tests and
when they passed they bought rigs and got help with them from then on.  Yes,
they at least showed the grit remember enough to pass, but they often never did
anything more technical than ragchew on phone for the rest of their lives.

SO, how can we make ARRL more like we want it to be?

Get on CW and show us your skill.
Write a semitechnical article for QST, with explanations of technology that will
help the masses improve their minds.
Send in some pictures of the nice gear you have built.
Teach a few license classes and start a ham club at your local high school or
college.
Work with your ARES group to set up real interfaces with local government.  It
doesn't matter if there are no real emergencies.
   The publicity and involvement are good for both sides.

Meanwhile, be greatful that ARRL has helped swell our numbers and that a
dedicated staff of professional employees and volunteers works to preserve our
privileges.  As for me, I consider membership a screaming bargain and I wish
every ham would join!

Wilson
W4BOH