[Boatanchors] Receiver Technology

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Mon Jan 17 13:23:04 EST 2011

You can easily see this today, although few recognize it.

If you have an old instrument or especially a power strip with a Ne pilot
light, the pilot often will not glow or will flicker in a dark room. If
you turn on the room lights or shine a flash light on the Ne bulb, it will
glow continuously.

The optical photons kick-start the ionization process.

Best,

-John