[Boatanchors] Receiver Technology

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Mon Jan 17 13:44:34 EST 2011

Hertz got started on RF by accident also but a different sort.
He was looking for a research grant and found one. The question was, does the apparent current thru a capacitor's dielectric or even air produce a magnetic field.  This was the goal but by coming up with ways to try to measure such a field he discovered waves and even though his grant was for a specific measurement he diverted all his efforts to studying these waves.  He even built a very large prism to see if these waves were refracted just as light waves. It was a very large wooden container filled with pitch.  It had to be so large because it had to be much larger than a wavelength of these waves which was around a meter or so.
Imagine what that cost. Just in materials alone. He used parabolic reflectors to create more intense waves and made all sorts of measurements.
    There are professional researchers that stay on track and are not derailed by something interesting but sometimes there is a benefit for all of us when they do get derailed.

73