[Boatanchors] Receiver Technology

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Mon Jan 17 21:27:57 EST 2011

   Norman Ramsey was awarded the Nobel Prize many years after his accomplishment.
He and his graduate students developed the first atomic frequency standard. It was not until
his invention was used to verify many theories and put to practical use that he was awarded the prize.
   He distributed some of it to his graduate students that worked in his labs. I believe he gave them two choices of
gifts. One was an AT&T personal computer and I can't remember the other. I think he got a deal on a quantity
purchase of the gifts. He was an interesting person to take with. I met him once in the early 80's before he
became so famous. He was also involved in US efforts in developing RADAR using the new Magnetron oscillator when
he was much younger.
  73
Bill wa4lav