[Boatanchors] HBR-16 vs. ???

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Fri Jul 15 21:21:23 EDT 2011

  You know, knowing what we do today, think of the receivers and transmitters we could have designed back then.
No need for the very special crystals to make filters, get less expensive crystals, such as the
color burst ones and make ladder filters, with  variable band width using ganged variable capacitors.
   Or think of it, a phasing receiver or transmitter using polyphase phase shift networks for the audio.
A pair of 6BE6 tubes for product detectors and polyphase network and audio amplifier would be great.
Then use same polyphase network ,but cheap enough using 10% parts,  you could have a separate one to make a transmitter using
a two pair of 1625 balanced modulators, screen modulated to get 30 or 40 watts SSB. More than enough power but easily drive
a pair of 813s in grounded grid.
  I am sure there are other things that could have been done.
Any ideas?

73
Bill wa4lav