[Boatanchors] Are 400 Hz variac's good for anything but a real 'boat anchor'

doc at kd4e.com doc at kd4e.com
Sun Jul 17 12:23:30 EDT 2011

I am math-challenged, or more precisely, algebra-challenged.

Are you saying that a 400Hz device operating at 60Hz has
to be downgraded 6.5:1?

So if he stayed with 120vac and the device was rated 65A @ 400Hz
it would be good for 10A @ 60Hz?

So one rated at 10a @ 400Hz would be good for ??? @ 60Hz?

I am interested because I have a pair of selsyns/synchros that are
rated at 400Hz and finally have a purpose where I can see if they
are functioning correctly and can handle a little torque (turning
a big roller inductor).