[Boatanchors] Are 400 Hz variac's good for anything but a real 'boat anchor'

Bruce Long coolbrucelong at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 11:24:52 EDT 2011

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
No one is entitled to their own facts.

I have stated a 400 Hz 120vrms variac connected to 120vrms will self destruct.  Everyone agrees with this. Indeed this was the reason the thread was created.

I have also stated the guys suggesting the same variac can be used at 60 Hz if the voltage is limited to about 18 vrms are correct and have offered an algebraic explanation why this is so.

With respect, which part of my "opinion" is incorrect and why?