[Boatanchors] [Glowbugs] Noelle and cigar box rigs

Kludge wh7hg.hi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 14:49:36 EDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Maynard Wright [mailto:m-wright at eskimo.com]
> I think I mentioned that the first electronic device I ever built was an
> amplifier (using a 26) in a cigar box for a school science fair.

I do believe you did.  I have several cigar boxes earmarked for projects
built with the tubes etc on top of the boxes which I picked more for the
finish than the size.  These will become 1930s pieces of some order - kind
of "improved" breadboard units.

> I made connections to the pins by using homemade clips (I think
> probably from a tin can).  I had screw terminals on the top of the box for

> access to the tube elements.  Typed labels rubber cemented to the box
> completed the project.

All filed for future reference.  :-D

> Looking back, I think that the wood box with nice grain with a tube
mounted
> vertically looked pretty good.  I didn't have to make room in the box for
the
> tube.   One might envision something akin to an Ameco AC-1 in wood.

Agreed with no hesitation.  While a breadboard can be finished very nicely,
there are many cigar boxes that already are finished and more than a few
that are only steps away from having a lovely finish.  Several breadboards
live here for larger rigs but several "picked" cigar boxes do as well for
smaller or "sectioned" rigs with each box holding one stage of a Tx.  Among
the latter are several black ones that will get special treatment although I
don't know how special.  :-)

The larger boxes give me a way of playing with more or less portable
equipment that has the tubes inside rather than exposed simply because I
can.

It would be nice to see a pic or two of your amplifier should you think of
it.  :-)

Best regards,

Michael, WH7HG ex-K3MXO, ex-KN3MXO, WPE3ARS, BL01xh ex-Mensa A&P PP BGI
I am me.  I’m the only one who’s qualified.
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/chapters/NTH/index.aspx
http://wh7hg.blogspot.com/
http://kludges-other-blog.blogspot.com
Hiki Nô!