[Boatanchors] Re SX-130 question

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Wed Feb 1 09:08:43 EST 2012

   It does have a product detector however, the bias on the tube seems a
bit strange.
Perhaps it is to reduce the gain so that AM and SSB reception audio levels
are about the
same. The screen voltage is about 24 volts and plate about 65V. Perhaps the
product
detector is being driven by the IF signal. 6BE6 pentagrid converter tubes
were primarily
intended for low level mixing, not high level and  have considerable
conversion gain.
73
Bill wa4lav