[Boatanchors] Tetroded as Triodes

Robert Groh rgroh at swbell.net
Sun Feb 19 19:12:02 EST 2012

A few no-practical-experience-but-just-educated-guesses:
1.   You have 250W of available plate dissipation.  Allowing 60% efficiency,
300W watts out, 500W in, 200w for plates.  Not far off the mark.

2.   Grid current should be pretty much zip so the cathode current pretty much
equals plate current so plate current is approximately 300 mA (the data sheet
lists the grid at 5W maximum).

3.   Assuming no sag in plate voltage: Pin = 2700 * 0.3A = 810 watts.  That
would imply 500W plate dissipation (with 300 W output). That is NOT consistent
with no plate color so I suspect a large drop in plate voltage under load.  OR a
lot of grid current.  But even if you allow 50 mA of grid current (quite a bit),
that would put the dc input at 600+ watts and that should have a ton of plate
color.  So my suspicion is lots of plate voltage drop.

What load impedance are you shooting for and what band are you on?  All sounds
interesting and I (for one) would certainly like to hear more!

73
Bob, WA2CKY