[Boatanchors] OT (sorta) - long - Vacuum tubes were the 4th largest US export in 2011!!??

Bry Carling bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jan 2 07:20:45 EST 2012

Good point, Chris... is any company in the USA even manufacturing vacuum tubes any
more?
The last one I heard of was EIMAC/VARIAN. Perhaps they are still exporting large RF
broadcasting type power tubes for the powerful SW stations like WYFR, Radio Netherlands
and Moscow?

I remember those ads years ago in QST with a picture of a baby in a diaper (nappy) sitting
next to a gigantic power tube with ceramic body and metal contact rings by EIMAC VARIAN.
The tube was far bigger than the baby.