[Boatanchors] OT (sorta) - long - Vacuum tubes were the 4th largest US export in 2011!!??

David Folger dbfolger at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 14:42:56 EST 2012

I brought this up on a financial board I
post on. It turns out that there was some sloppy journalism here. The
category they called "vacuum tubes" includes a lot of electronics stuff
including semi-conductors. It was a poor choice of name for the category
 as vacuum tubes has to be a very  minor part of the total dollars.

Dave
Good point, Chris... is any company in the USA even manufacturing vacuum tubes any
more?
The last one I heard of was EIMAC/VARIAN. Perhaps they are still exporting large RF
broadcasting type power tubes for the powerful SW stations like WYFR, Radio Netherlands
and Moscow?

I remember those ads years ago in QST with a picture of a baby in a diaper (nappy) sitting
next to a gigantic power tube with ceramic body and metal contact rings by EIMAC VARIAN.
The tube was far bigger than the baby.