[Boatanchors] A "bit" off topic - Thin Audio Output in Vintage SS Rigs

Hy Chantz chantz at well.com
Fri Jan 13 16:24:44 EST 2012

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic.   It pertains to Boatanchors, but of
the non-hollow-state variety.

In the ~ 40 year-old SS ham/consumer rigs I've seen, made with discrete
components, the audio typically seems very weak and 'thin'.

Is there a general rule-of-thumb why this happens? Is this primarily
because biasing resistors are aging "up"; coupling capacitors are drying
up and loosing value, there's conductivity across the PCB, etc.

In my limited experience, by contrast, the hollow-state BAs generally
retain plenty of audio output, even when not in alignment or having RF
issues.

73

Hy W2HY