[Boatanchors] Re SX-130 question

Ron Barlow imalowfer at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 31 23:49:19 EST 2012

Many thanks to all who replied to my request for info on the SX-130. The owner (a member of the Hallicrafters mailing list) states that the RF gain control must be reduced to obtain good copy on SSB. He states that if the RF gain control is advanced, the audio distortion becomes severe.
 He asks if this situation, is normal, for this particular receiver.
 He sent along a copy of the owners manual, which states that "under certain conditions, it may be found advantageous to reduce the RF GAIN setting for improved reception." Judging from the owners description, his receiver seems to require a great deal more attention, to the RF gain control, than the owners manual suggests.
 Unfortunately, I do not have access to the receiver, and I have never operated an SX-130. Therefore, I am not in a good position to judge whether his receiver is operating normally. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, and I will forward it to the owner of the receiver.
                                       Many thanks & 73 de Ron  N4GJV