[Boatanchors] Ship a HL-2200

qrv at kd4e.com qrv at kd4e.com
Sat Jul 14 11:08:02 EDT 2012

My suggestion for you.

This applies to amps and other large and heavy boatanchors ...

Pull the tubes then stuff the amp with newspaper or bubble wrap (never
syrofoam or shipping peanuts) - being careful not to harm anything -
the purpose is to soak-up vibrations.

Wrap the amp in a heavy duty black garbage bag - a couple of layers - to
prevent scuffing.

Cut a piece of 1/2" plywood cut to extend beyond the perimeter of the
cabinet at least 2" on all four sides - then pieces of 2x2 screwed to
the plywood all around so that the base of the amp sits very firmly -
restrained from moving side-to-side by the 2x2's.

The goal is for the wood to keep twisting forces off the amp chassis.

Then 2" or more of semi-rigid foam (the pink foam insulation board
used in contruction is excellent).

Place all of that in a heavy duty box that holds it snugly - the
amp must not move in this box - add more semi-rigid material until
you almost have to stand on the box to close it.

Around that box either a second layer of 2" pink foam board or
3-4" of mattress foam then a second heavy-duty box.

Insure it well.

--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA