[Boatanchors] Ship a HL-2200

Mike Langner mlangner at swcp.com
Sat Jul 14 11:32:54 EDT 2012

Hello everyone !

This is wonderful advice.

Still, it's not bulletproof.

UPS drove a fork lift tine through the carton, padding, through the plywood,
and into an R-390 that I shipped some years ago.

And they declined the claim saying it wasn't packed well enough.

I honestly don't know any absolutely safe way to ship any more.

When I shipped an RCA AR-88 a year later, I had it crated by the UPS store
and purchased their "pack and ship guarantee."

The crate was found in a UPS trans-ship warehouse in St. Louis with all the
screws removed from one side and the AR-88 missing.  Perhaps the red
stickers that UPS had affixed to it saying "High Value Item -- Handle With
Care" was just an invitation to theft.

I found the radio on eBay two weeks later, and identified it by the cabinet
scratches in the photo.  Posing as a buyer, I asked the vendor where it had
come from me.  The vendor explained that he had a confidentiality agreement
with his supplier.  I bet that's true!

UPS denied the claim, stating it wasn't packed well enough.

The local UPS store went to bat for me, and after a month and a half, UPS
paid the claim.  Three months later the UPS store franchise operator sold
the store and went out of the business.

I must say, however, I have yet to have any loss with FedEx!

Try real hard to find someone headed the direction you need to ship any
really valuable or irreplaceable item.  Ask them to take it with in their
car with them.

Otherwise it might get there.  Or it might not! Just one guy's experience!

Good luck and 73!

Mike/
K5MGR

Mike Langner