[Boatanchors] VHF 152A

Robert Groh rgroh at swbell.net
Thu Jun 28 23:52:53 EDT 2012

I quickly downloaded a manual (thank goodness for BAMA!) and checked the
schematic and parts list.  Those are just power supply filters (dual section, 10
uF, 450 WVDC) and you can certainly increase the value to 22 uF or even 47 uF.
Value is not critical as long as you meet the minimum (which you could
arbitrarily set at 10 uF in this case).  The capacitor simply provides 'energy
storage' during the portion of the input cycle where the diodes are not
conducting - you can roughly calculate the drop in voltage (aka 'ripple') using
standard formulas.  Again not terribly important in this case as there is just
not a lot of load.

So size might be important factor - I would think pair of 22 uF would fit nicely
in the old can.  I do suggest you buy higher temperature rating ones (i.e. buy
125 degC parts rather than the normal 85 degC) - gives you longer lifetime at
little extra cost.

73
Bob, WA2CKY