[Boatanchors] Request Comments for Audio Amplifier

William Morton w_b_morton at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 7 00:42:58 EST 2012

Hello All,
Let me start by agreeing that this message is not radio related, but I have a project in mind and found a design that looks interesting.  I am going to say it is at least somewhat in the realm of boatanchors as it will weigh quite a bit when it is done.
The project is to build a stereo amplifier using 807 transmitting tubes, with the general schematic shown here:http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://members.home.nl/triode.dick/tekeningen/se807.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t%3D4484%26sid%3Df94236dcf8d233fc508aabbd71d29cb4&h=908&w=817&sz=18&tbnid=Dh_qja4GX9gUTM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=81&prev=/search%3Fq%3D807%2Bsingle%2Bended%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=807+single+ended&usg=__A0P3aWZbcewQTZ9W5oNWK9ir15c=&docid=GD5wKBI4vnjFVM&sa=X&ei=2eqZUPnhEqGqyAG7tYCADQ&ved=0CDAQ9QEwAA&dur=7872
My idea is to use more top cap connectons:  Substitute a 6004 rectifier for the 5U4GB and a 7193 tube for each half of the 6SN7 tubes shown.  My plan is for a direct substitution with no changes to plate resistors, etc.
Here are my questions for the group:
1.  Can a 6004 handle the load?  I cannot seem to find much useful information on the web regarding this tube compared to the wealth of info for, say, the 5U4GB.  2.  Does anyone have experience using a 6004 or even a 7193?3.  Does anyone see a potential for disaster using these substitutions?
If you have read this far, I will provide a few tidbits of additional info.  My plan is to make the amp look relatively 'industrial' or something akin to the classic Leeds & Northrup lab equipment.  I have a couple of Weston 10 Amp shunts that I plan to repurpose into the speaker connections.  There will also be two large Weston model 269 volt meters on the front to monitor the B+, B++ and B+++ for each channel.  Continued in this dream is to have the top surface plate made from brass with the surface finished in the 'engine turning' style (like the nose of the Spirit of St. Louis airplane, only with much smaller circle patterns).
Thanks in advance for any constructive comments you may have.  I hope I have not broken an unspoken rule regarding subject matter.
Best Regards,
William