[Boatanchors] Question for Triplett 3444-A

William Morton w_b_morton at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 12 21:48:12 EST 2013

Hello All,
I have a Triplett 3444-A from an estate sale that needs some help.  When I peeked under the hood, my eyes were immediately drawn to a blown power resistor that was attached to the middle terminal of the line voltage adjustment pot.  Other than that, everything else looks quite clean and intact with no evidence of overheating, shorting, arcing, etc.
I do have the manual, but there is no mention of an additional resistor added to the wiper terminal.  As best I can measure the resistor was 20 ohms (it was a wire-wound type and the wire was broken off at one of the end connections).
Before I yield to temptation and start poking around further, I would like to ask if anyone knows of a trustworthy shop having experience in repairing and calibrating this type of tester.  Mr. William Waters worked on my Hickok 605A and I have already sent an email to him.  If there are any other recommendations, please feel free to drop me a line.
As I have been using the Hickok and my Heath TT-1, I really do not need the Triplett.  I imagine it will be put up for sale once it is brought up to snuff.  Based on the silly prices on that auction site, the proceeds may buy a textbook when my first kiddo goes to college... in 2021.
Thank you all in advance for your help.
Best Regards,
William