[Boatanchors] Any Interest? 2 Eimac 3C100A5, 1 Eimac 2C39A Army/JAN

Ron Barlow imalowfer at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 21 11:49:35 EDT 2013

Hi Michael,
 Interesting socket! I don't recall ever seeing one of those. The 2C39, and its' kin, were frequently usually used at freqs above 1 ghz. The tube contact rings were made of fingerstock, and were often part of a resonant cavity.
 Motorola (T44), GE, and perhaps others, used them in their ~450 Mhz business band xmtrs, and contact rings  can be liberated from scrapped units, or these units can be modified to suit your use.
 Or you can make your own contacts from springy brass, etc.
 At what frequency do you intend to use them, Michael?
 I would suggest that you apply normal heater voltage only, to these tubes (plus a little air flow, or adequate heat sinking,on the cathode/heater sleeve, and heater receptacle, for ~ 24 hrs., before attempting to use them. This will allow the heater activated getter to clean up the residual gas, that will probably will have been liberated, during their long idle period. Otherwise, the tube may flash over internally, and be ruined. This suggestion also applies to external anode tetrodes, such as the 4X150 family, etc.
 How did I learn this? I learned it the "hard way"-----after the fact! That day did not yield any cause for happiness or celebration.
,                                                    GL & 73 de Ron  n4gjv