[Boatanchors] S38 pilot light

Garey Barrell k4oah at mindspring.com
Wed May 29 09:47:49 EDT 2013

The tapped filament in the 35Z5 was _specifically_  for a pilot bulb, a #47, to be in parallel with one section, (PIn 2 & 3).  IF this bulb
is missing, that section of the filament is overloaded and will open up, eventually.  MANY 35Z5's met their death because the pilot bulb
burned out and theowner of the radio decided they could see the dial well enoughwithout a trip to the repair shop.  Which came shortly
thereafter, to replace a 35Z5 with an openfilament section, surprisingly between 2 & 3.  This is all explained, along with paralleling
additional resistors for increased current requirements, in any RCA tube manual.

73, Garey - K4OAH
Glen Allen, VA

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs