[Boatanchors] Collins kwm-2/-2A

Glen Zook gzook at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 15:22:22 EDT 2014

For SSB, the KWM-2- series work fine.  But, do NOT even think of using one on CW!  The KWM-2- series, as well as the Collins 32S-1 and 32S-2 transmitters, use sidetone CW generation which generally produces 3-signals and sometimes even 5-signals!

The 32S-3 and 32S-3A transmitters use true CW generation and there are no problems with multiple signals.

As far as reliability, all of the Collins S-Line and KWM-2- series are VERY reliable!  I have several pieces of Collins equipment and a number of other "hollow state" equipment.  I have had virtually no problems with the Collins equipment.  I have had my 32S-3 transmitter for over 40-years (acquired it in 1973) and, last week, was the very first failure that I have had in it.  One of the 6146A/8298 final amplifier tubes finally "gave up the ghost".  I had to put in a new pair!

In general, my Collins equipment has been more reliable than any other of my tube-type equipment.

http://k9sth.com/uploads/Equipment_at_K9STH-9_January_2013.pdf

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com