[Boatanchors] Any Opinions? Amplitrex AT 1000

William w_b_morton at hotmail.com
Tue May 13 23:20:40 EDT 2014

Hello All,

I have a slim chance to get one at a reasonable price.  My plan, assuming I buy the thing, is to check it out, test a few tubes and then possibly sell it to finance other adventures.

Pros:  Many positive opinions out there, based on a web search.  Evidently built well, can be programmed to add new tube data, can be used as stand-alone or with a PC to plot curves.

Cons:  Expensive.  PC software needs Microsoft Windows 98, Vista, XP, or 7 - what about 8/8.1 or, say, Ubuntu?  The discussion at this site gives me pause:  http://www.jacmusic.com/Tube-testers/Amplitrex/

I already have TV-7 A/U, Hickok 605A, Triplett 3444, Heathkit TT-1.  All good testers in their own right.  Do I really need an Amplitrex?  Or is this feeling akin to a photographer wanting a Leica M3 - a known classic with a high standard of performance that provides a bit of cachet, swagger, elan, ego boost?

Please let me know your opinions as I would like to make an informed decision.  I plan to meet with the seller on Friday.

Thank you all in advance.

Best Regards,

William