[Boatanchors] Question from an admitted 'Newbie'

pmarkavage at juno.com pmarkavage at juno.com
Thu Sep 4 18:48:50 EDT 2014

Trouble is, the term "boatanchors" is so misused and nebulous, it's
difficult to define today. A Morrow receiver, MBR-5, is all tubes, weighs
11 pounds, and was introduced in 1955 (roughly 60 years ago). Is this a
"boatanchor"? A National HRO-500 is all solid-state, weighs 32 pounds,
and was introduced in 1964 (roughly 50 years ago). Is this a
"boatanchor"? In some minds, some might consider both to be a
"boatanchor", or one or the other, or neither. Some probably believe a
"boatanchor" has to weigh some minimum weight, and/or can't be lifted
above your head and/or shoulders and/or has to be lifted by two people to
get it on a work bench. Maybe a "boatanchor" is defined by how big the
knobs are but then, "what is big?". 1 inch diameter, 2 inch diameter, 3
inch diameter, etc.

Pete, wa2cwa
www.manualman.com