[Boatanchors] [FLBOATANCHORS] ARRL Band Plan

qrv at kd4e.com qrv at kd4e.com
Sat Apr 11 09:43:27 EDT 2015

I find this ARRL text difficult to follow and have not kept up
with these things lately.

Are they saying that the FCC currently limits rtty & other data
modes (not just rtty) to 5kHz (7100-7105 kHz) of a 300kHz band?

If that is correct are those using CW between 7100-7105 kHz
currently in violation of FCC regs?

If 7100-7125 kHz were to be set aside for CW where should all of
the digi-modes (including rtty, psk, bpq32, thor, etc.) be located?

With the rapid increase of digi modes 5kHz isn't going to meet the
need. We do have 300kHz to work with - while avoiding conflicts
with other Regions.

What is the alternative proposal from the CW community, please?

I'm no fan of the unattended & easily abused Winlink-type modes
but the reality is that digi mode use by Hams is growing and needs
to be accomodated.

The best way to defeat a bad proposal is to offer a workable
alternative.

WDYT?

David KD4E

On 40 meters, the committee concluded that it would be unrealistic to
try to bring the ARRL band plan into alignment with the rest of the
world, particularly with Regions 1 and 3 where operating patterns
developed when the entire band, including phone, was just 100 kHz wide
and is still only 200 kHz. While 7040 kHz is a recognized RTTY/data DX
frequency in the band plan, the best place for other RTTY/data activity
in the US is above 7070 kHz.

The committee proposes aligning the band plan with the “Considerate
Operator’s Frequency Guide,” with wide data modes — outside of ACDS — at
7115-7125 kHz. The “Guide” shows 7070-7125 kHz for RTTY/data, while the
ARRL band plan shows 7080-7125 kHz. The FCC mandates that ACDS be
confined to the 7100-7105 kHz segment.

--

*David* KD4E
ARES-EC Bulloch County, Nevils, Georgia USA

Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com