[Boatanchors] Unusual BC-221

Ron Barlow imalowfer at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 4 13:06:23 EST 2015

Congrats on your find, Dave!
The BC221, etc, can also be used as a very stable VFO, to drive a xmtr.
                73 de Ron

 Subject: Re: [Boatanchors] Unusual BC-221
 To: "Dave Hollander" <n7rk at cox.net>, "milsurplus at mailman.qth.net" <milsurplus at mailman.qth.net>, "BOATANCHORS" <boatanchors at mailman.qth.net>, "Boatanchors at puck.nether.net" <Boatanchors at puck.nether.net>, "Old Tube Radios" <boatanchors at theporch.com>, "ARC5 at mailman.qth.net" <ARC5 at mailman.qth.net>
 Date: Wednesday, March 4, 2015, 1:21 AM

 Interesting. Most BC-221 were
 originally battery powered and later converted with
 makeshift AC power supplies. Your's obviously was AC powered
 from the get-go. There were over 25 different different
 models made by a slew of different manufacturers for use
 during WW II. Few of them had a modulator.

 I have found the BC-221 to be a very useful while nostolgic
 piece of test equipment. As long as you have an idea as to
 roughly what frequency you are beating the signal agsinst
 (generally not a problem), it can be used to accurately tune
 transmitters and receivers to a specific frequency. It can
 even be used to align IF frequencies eliminating the need
 for a frequency counter and RF signal generator.

 Thanks for sharing.

 Dave Rossetti
 410-279-0226 Mobile

 --------</div><div>From: Dave Hollander <n7rk at cox.net>
 (GMT-05:00) </div><div>To: milsurplus at mailman.qth.net,
 BOATANCHORS <boatanchors at mailman.qth.net>,
 Boatanchors at puck.nether.net,
 Old Tube Radios <boatanchors at theporch.com>,
 ARC5 at mailman.qth.net
 hamfest a few years ago. The
 guy practically begged me to take it.

 I just got it out of storage a few days ago.

 I have never seen one like this and don't find any model
 numbers on it.

 I did have it on the bench and it works.

 Attached are some pictures.

 http://n7rk.com/radiostuff9/bc221unusual.jpg
 http://n7rk.com/radiostuff9/bc221unusual2.jpg
 http://n7rk.com/radiostuff9/bc221unusual3.jpg
 http://n7rk.com/radiostuff9/bc221unusual4.jpg
 http://n7rk.com/radiostuff9/bc221unusual6.jpg
 http://n7rk.com/radiostuff9/bc221unusual7.jpg

 Anyone seen one like this? Comments?

 Tnx and 73,

 Dave N7RK

 Dave  N7RK
 Boatanchors Home Page: http://n7rk.com
 Phoenix, Arizona         *DXCC
 Honor Roll*    *WAZ#22 - 75 Meter SSB*

 ex-XE2/N7RK, N7RK/ZB2, VK2ERK, ZM0AJN, WB6NRK, WN6IWX

 Boatanchor and Antique Radio Collector