[Boatanchors] Any Builders out There?

Steve Mulder smulder3 at cox.net
Sun Nov 8 18:14:10 EST 2015

Wilson,

I'm working my way up to being a builder. I spend a lot of time studying
the schematics of 30's 40's & 50 gear, and I have been collecting parts.
I refurbished enough AM/FM/SW radios to hide the pool table, and sold
them all in one lot to make room for more. I have a stack of receivers
and transmitters that I haven't got to yet, and I currently have the
covers off a Zenith AM/FM and a Drake 2B.

I have a collection of 807s, 6AG7s, 6L6s and various other tubes,
variable capacitors, transformers, insulators, analog gauges etc. My
wife thinks I'm a hoarder. And yes, I am a little afraid of any power
supply that I built or repaired myself.

I'm fairly new to Ham radio, but it's my plan to eventually have a
working rig that is all home built. The repair work I have been doing is
really just educational. Once I have an old radio working, I don't have
much use for it anymore.

I built one receiver from scratch. It was a regen based on this article:
http://www.makearadio.com/tube/12at7-6ak6.php

I was able to listen to some foreign broadcasts, SSB & CW with it. I
suspect it's an effective transmitter too, so I don't use it anymore.

If anyone lets you know about any retro equipment builder’s/operators
groups or lists, please pass that info along.

You have my sympathy.

Best regards,

Steve
KG7CCS