[Boatanchors] historical question who many running CW compared to the 60s?

john johnmb at nc.rr.com
Mon Nov 30 17:12:23 EST 2015

I operated in the contest casually this past weekend and always find it
fun. There's some really good ops out there and it's a pleasure to
listen to them work a pile. There was also a lot of them, which was fun
to hear.

40m in the evening hours US time is an practical study in dynamic range
handling. I've got a Omni VI+ with 250hz filters on the IF's and I could
still use more filtering.  Trying to pull out a s0 signal from the south
pacific immediately adjacent two east coast stations running 60 over
from 500 miles away is a challenge.

Yes a lot of the CW is sent by rig, but I suspect most all the ops are
using the wet filter to copy the info. It's fun to listen to them when
they're in the groove running three or more contacts / min.

I suspect the folks at CQ could tell you the number of calls found in
logs, but that can't normalize the comparison between now and 1960.

John K5MO