[Boatanchors] FS: Hickok 605A Tube Tester

William w_b_morton at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 12 20:37:47 EDT 2015

Hello All,
I read through all of the replies to my earlier 'another store closes' email and I would like to do my part to support a new hobbyist or a club/association in their acquisition of equipment.
I have a Hickok 605A that is surplus to my needs and is looking for a new home.  Photos can be seen here:  http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/greenhorn3/library/Hickok%20605A
Functionally, it was checked out a few years ago by William Waters, the 'Hickok Doc' ( ts6550 at yahoo.com , 301-473-5950 ), and has worked fine for me.  As you can see in the pictures the outer case will not win any beauty pageants but the control panel is pretty clean.
I have attached the edited email chain relating to the work that was done.  The excerpt is found between the chain of asterisks (*).
I am not looking to get rich by selling this and I am certainly not looking to make anyone bust a budget.  Would $150, including USPS pack/ship, be ok?  If you want to pay more, feel free to donate the difference to a worthy cause.  I will include any of the original paperwork that I can find as well.
Thank you for your consideration.
Best Regards,
William

***********Hello William,Thank you very much for the detailed report.  It is very satisfying to see the information point by point.I would like to request the following:All numbered items:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6Lettered Options:  C, D, E, F, G, H, JThanks Again and Best Regards,WilliamDate: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 18:50:13 -0700From: ts6550 at yahoo.comSubject: Re: Hickok 605A Shipped to YouTo: w_b_morton at hotmail.comDate: revised 10/25/11    Note:   Below is the report on your tube tester. It is very detailed, in order to allow you to choose what, if any, work and available options you wish done following the evaluation, and have a complete picture of it's condition before deciding on same.. Some items may not be of concern to you, but are mentioned for completeness. A summary is given at the end. If repairs are wanted, they must include at least the items listed in the "minimum" category.This includes  only basic items w/o which there is no point in servicing the tester at all, or safety items Tube Tester Evaluation ReportOwner: William MortonMake and Model: Hickok 650AItems Supplied:  manual copy, one homemade cap lead                             Symptom : evaluate  A detailed evaluation ( at standard  $49.50 fee - (ALREADY PREPAID )  is given below. ( price  for  each item below includes both part(s) and labor)                      A. Case/Hardware/ Mechanical:  strain relief on previously replaced power cord can short  to circuitry  (1) fix $2). Whomever made the cap lead did not realize that (A)  making it twice as long, can cause oscilltaions / erroneous readings for some classes of tubes such as power types (B) unlike the original, it won't fit more than half the listed tube types (C) bending over the end of the lead , instead of using the proper connector , does not provide a reliable connection. I  make and can supply a proper one which fits all tubes and has original type much heavier and more flexible wire ( the unit was originally furnished with two - but a second one is needed only for a handful of tubes ) ( 2)  @ $9.95.B. Quality Function :  not within specs, but also not greatly beyond them C. Other Functions :  gas & shorts o k. D. Condition of all switches/sockets/ roll chart:  Roll chart ok. switches and sockets not defective, but should be cleaned/ serviced for reliability (3) $22.E. Ability to Hold a Calibration:  OK.F. Circuitry analysis/internal tubes/ component check: On capacitor has been replaced, but with the wrong value (4) $8. A second one is missing (5) $6. I believe the meter movement has been replaced inside with a less rugged Chinese version, and a four resistor network added to trick it up to work in place of the old one, with someone after doing all this , then forgetting the cap. The 83 tube  manages to still work, but  is blackened inside from long use / abuse, and has particles of the filament scattered around inside as well ( maybe from shipping ) so strongly suggest replacing it with my solid state option  H- see below. Other tube was found partially out of it's socket ( again maybe from shipping) but tube is good.G. Work for specific problem reported:    H. Calibration Required ?  Suggest my doing less than the  normal calibration required, at a reduction from the normal charge , i.e. (6) $25. I. Recommendations:   Minimum:  1,  3,4,5       Intermediate- above plus  2,6   High- all of above plus any options wanted from below.      All available options for this model-A. Meter protection mod. This helps prevent damage to the  meter , which is now almost unobtainable - cheap insurance, as if it fails, generally this means the end of a tester $20.B.  Tube matching upgrade to allow for more complete matching, as the more costly testers have. Does require owner to have or purchase any simple Radio Shack type  pocket voltmeter $25 , with instructions. Requires adding two test jacks to panel, or can use the existing obsolete ones for the vom functions with cost being reduced to $20. I can supply a suitable meter, if wanted- ask.C.  Practical bulletin about using tube testers and tubes from my  own experiences  $1.50..D. My special bulletin , with tips and precautions for this specific model, based on my long experience - only one page, but can save disaster $5.E. A good article on the fine points of tube testing $3.F. Another good article on how to interpret tube tester readings $3.G. Spare main  fuselamp ( becoming hard to find, especially if needed quickly when blows due to a mis-setting or malfunction  $3.20. Other small fuselamp $2.50.  H. Permanent solid state conversion ( not  the simple plug-in seen that does not take all factors into account) for the ancient and hazardous tube in measuring circuit - has many advantages, including more stable and accurate readings, faster warm up, less stress on tester transformer etc. $25. J. If interested, can search my files and  likely supply additional tube lists for foreign tubes etc- ask.