[Boatanchors] Has anyone ever cut the glass top off a miniature tube to re-use the base?

Bob Groh bob.groh at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 00:41:08 EDT 2016

Yes, this is another stab at finding a source for 7 and 9 pin miniature
tube plugs.  Has anyone ever 'de-vacuumed' a mniature tube, cut off the top
using a glass cutter and then soldered to the pins?

I think I could get the glass off (leaving, say, a 1/4" rim on the bottom)
and cut off the tube guts. But I have my doubts about whether or not the
leads coming up would take solder.  I rather imagine the leads were spot
welded originally and that the leads may not be solderable.

Any thoughts?  Anybody done it?

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY