[Boatanchors] Heat conditioning old transformer

rgroh at swbell.net rgroh at swbell.net
Mon Jun 20 11:58:32 EDT 2016

Getting ready to turn on some old boatanchors after upgrades for electrolytics et al.  This piece of gear has not been used for many, many years.  In the back of my mind, I have a recollection that recommended pulling all loads from the old transformer, putting a light load on one of the secondaries (for example, the 6V filament winding) and then running the unit transformer for a period of time (hours) to get it luke warm.  The idea was to warm up everything and drive off any moisture that might have accumulated over the years.
Does anyone have an opinion on this idea?  Have you ever done it?

73Bob Groh, WA2CKY