[Boatanchors] Navigator and Heathkit A-1 Meters

rgroh at swbell.net rgroh at swbell.net
Fri Oct 14 12:21:51 EDT 2016

Probably not (well, other than putting a better meter in!!).  I also find the meter banging around to be a real PITA but, in my mental musings, I haven't thought of any way to tame the beast. You could use an RC network (sort of a slow attack quick discharge) but that would take some fiddling around with.  Basically you have, in the meter, a mechanical system with a 'huuuuuge' amount of overshoot.  You hit the meter with a quick shot of current and it goes way over and then settles back to the right reading.  The ONLY way to cure that is to slow down the current rise. Then, of course, you have to worry about the what happens when the drive current goes down - you don't want to have too much 'hang'.  Plus the next part of the problem is that meter resistance is fairly low - so you are limited in how much R (as part of your RC network) you can put in series with meter.  So the R needs to be a low value.  Which means the C needs to be big'ish. I thought about playing around with this on the bench but ... well, just one more thing I won't get to.
73Bob Groh, WA2CKY