[Boatanchors] JOHNSON 500 speech clipper mod?

Gary Franklin franklin6209 at att.net
Mon Sep 26 17:26:12 EDT 2016

I have a Johnson 500 which has developed a problem which I believe to be
in the audio chain up to the 6B4G driver.  The factory tube line up is:
12AX7 ( first and second audio amplifier),  6AL5 (audio peak clipper),
6AU6  (third audio amplifier),  6B4G (audio driver).   My transmitter
has been modified in the clipper stage. Instead of a 6AL5 it has a 6C4
....  Anyone know of this modification?  could it be a WA1HLR mod??    I
also have a small board mounted to the bottom of the chassis which has a
SK 3021  NPN power transitor. Handles 300 vceo,  500 vcbo, 35 watt,
2amps in a TO-66 case. On the board is also (3) diodes and a 10K ohm 2
watt resistor.  What mod might this be ???  may or may not be related to
the 6C4.

Gary

K8BKB