[Boatanchors] Sprague Black Beauty capacitors

Richard raitchd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 15:50:06 EDT 2017

I have seen a lot of rhetoric about how bad the Sprague Black Beauties
are and they should all be replaced, but nobody indicates a reasonable
replacement. I have some 0.22 uFd BB's that I am thinking of replacing
with polypropylene film non-polar caps. Is this a reasonable choice? I
assume non-polar caps can be used just like polarized caps for DC power
filters. Does one just pick a positive terminal and go from there? Other
options are ceramic disk or electrolytic. What is the recommended
replacement? Please advise.

Richard