[Boatanchors] frozen potentiometer

n0tt1 at juno.com n0tt1 at juno.com
Mon Sep 25 22:58:52 EDT 2017

Steve,

I just wonder if the shaft had been lubricated with silicone.

I once owned a new SB-303 receiver....Heathkit instructions said to
lube the bearing and shaft with silicone.  I think it was provided
in the kit.  IIRC, the shaft was aluminum on the main tuning dial and
the bearing was brass.

Well, one day I was tuning around the bands and the dial became
harder and harder to move.  It finally siezed up and was impossible
to move the tuning knob!!!  I figured I'd just lube it up some
more, but it didn't do any good.  No chemicals I had would free up
the shaft.  I had to take the bearing and shaft out and
use considerable force to free it up.  I was careful to not damage
or bend anything, but WOW that shaft and bearing
was really fused together!!!  When I finally got it apart, the shaft,
where it was in contact with the bearing, looked like a kind of flaky
white color, IIRC.

73,
Charlie, N0TT