[Boatanchors] Article on changing from 2 to 3 wire power cords

John Duffield jaduffield at copper.net
Tue Aug 6 19:40:17 EDT 2019

I suspect we should make this a little broader in scope, don't you
think??   The concept (design approach) of the AC/DC design of low-cost
electronic equipment carries with it the understanding that this is a
"hot chassis" design that is constructed to operate inside an insulated
environment... plastic cabinet, plastic knobs, and the two-prong
electric cord was designed to plug into the well-ordered AC socket
WITHOUT REGARD TO NEUTRAL OR HOT.

There Is No  Chassis Ground to protect.

I suspect one might try to make it somewhat more orderly by putting a
modern 2-blade AC plug on the two-conductor AC cord, but even that will
only give the impression of a modern upgrade to some level of safety.
The Chassis Is Still Hot.    What problem are we solving??

73

John  K0KHZ