[Boatanchors] FS Beautiful Alpha 78 amplifier

Charlie Hugg k5mbx at suddenlink.net
Sat Aug 10 10:23:52 EDT 2019

FS Beautiful Alpha 78 amplifier: This Alpha 78 has been updated by R.L.
Howard, Howard Radio, Abilene Texas. He modified it for use with a pair of
3CPX800A7 tubes and did the WARC and 10 meter band additions (except for 12
meters).He also installed a BNC input connector in place of the RCA Phono
jack, plus other mods. A new pair of EIMAC 3CPX800A7 pulse rated tubes(
brand new, not pulls) were installed. This amp has the Hypersil transformer
which will be shipped separately. A new black panel with the 17 and 10 meter
positions indicated on the Band Switch was installed. The case is newly
painted black. Nice job. Pictures available. Price is $1025 plus shipping.
That is considerable below the going price for an Alpha 78 with the
3CPX800A7 tube modification. The reason for the lower price is when I apply
drive, nothing happens. I get HV and some grid current when I key the amp,
but nothing else. If you are interested in this 78 please e-mail me for
additional questions. This is one beautiful amplifier. Thanks, Charlie Hugg,
K5MBX.