[calix-nsp] IPv6 on E5 series

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Thu Jan 26 10:07:21 EST 2012

On 01/24/12 10:05 -0800, Walter Keen wrote:
>Anyone have experience using IPv6 on E5's?
>
>We're using them almost strictly for layer 2.  E5-111's, aggregated
>by a E5-400 before going to a cisco router.  Cisco router terminates
>layer 3.
>
>We're using either paepvc (pppoa to pppoe conversion) or dtpvc (and a
>bridged modem instead of ppp), so I think that providing IPv6 over
>this should be simplistic, but wanted to find out if anyone had done
>it before and could share some gotchas if there are any.
>
>If not, we'll be testing in the next month I think, and I'll
>certainly share what we find.

We're doing vlan-per-subscriber (dtpvc/dt) with our E5-11x and E5-12x
systems, and IPv6 is working on a test E5-111 port (V3.0.15) using address
auto assignment with a bridged Zyxel modem. I have not yet tested DHCPv6
PD, but I expect it to work.

My experience from a couple of years ago is that the E5-400 acts like a
true layer-2 ethernet device and passes IPv6 as expected. I don't think
that's always been true of the E5-1xx gear, so the version you're running
may be significant.

We're planning on doing some more comprehensive testing with our C7/E7/E5
gear, and I'll try to provide feedback.

--
Dan White
BTC Broadband