[cisco-bba] About converting from IRB to RBE

Siva Valliappan svalliap at cisco.com
Wed Aug 6 16:34:05 EDT 2003

the range command basically creates a bunch of point-to-point subints.
so in effect you were giving the same ip address to each p2p which
caused the duplicate ip error message.  if you are going to use
the range command, create a loopback interface and assign the ip address
to the loopback interface.  then unnumber the ATM subint to the loopback.

not many choices if you are going to use range or create multiple subints
if you want them to share the same IP.  they have to be unnumbered.
you can unnumber to a loopback (recommended way) or to some other
interface (lan, wan, bvi, etc).  a loopback is better as it's an interface
that is always up.

cheers
.siva