[cisco-bba] About converting from IRB to RBE

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Wed Aug 6 21:04:53 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 03:34:05PM -0700, Siva Valliappan wrote:
> the range command basically creates a bunch of point-to-point subints.
> so in effect you were giving the same ip address to each p2p which
> caused the duplicate ip error message.  if you are going to use
> the range command, create a loopback interface and assign the ip address
> to the loopback interface.  then unnumber the ATM subint to the loopback.

Yep that is pretty much what I said too.

> not many choices if you are going to use range or create multiple subints
> if you want them to share the same IP.  they have to be unnumbered.
> you can unnumber to a loopback (recommended way) or to some other
> interface (lan, wan, bvi, etc).  a loopback is better as it's an interface
> that is always up.

I had wanted to avoid using a loopback address at least while testing-
I guess there really was no good reason for avoiding it.  Reading your
last sentence, it now hits me that using a BVI didn't work when I
tried it because the BVI was no longer bridged with an active
interface and thus wasn't up.  I feel both stupid and relieved :-)

Thanks-

mm